I am proud to say that I have been able to assist a student in securing a UK student loan from Student England. This loan is only for tuition. You can not get a maintenance loan. The student is paying for housing and living expenses independently. NOTE: The tuition is paid directly to the university and not to your bank account. Tuition will only be paid if the student is registered with their University. So make sure that you do that once you are able to.
Here is what the student went through.
This student applied as a person who has no parental financial support. (If you submit with parental support, they will ask for the parents details. Then they will ask the parent to make a profile and submit details about their financial situation.) When filling in the address, the student wrote Montserrat and how many years they were living there. Once submitted the student received this email from Student England.
Evidence needed for your student finance application.
Thanks for your application for student finance. To get student finance you need to have been ordinarily resident in the UK for 3 years before the first day of the first academic year of your course. NOTE: Ignore the resident in UK part. For overseas territory students you need to prove that you were living in a overseas territory for three years prior to the first of the academic year, i.e September 1st.
You told us that you lived in Montserrat from 01/01/2000 to 01/09/2022.
What you need to do
Send photocopied evidence that you were outside the UK on a temporary basis. Evidence of this would be work contracts that state temporary or fixed term, a copy of your stamped passport and a temporary visa.
We also need written confirmation of where you will be living from 01/09/2022.
If you don’t have any of these, you can send any other evidence you feel proves that you were outside the UK on a temporary basis and that you planned to return.
Uploading evidence online. What you need to do.
1. Locate the evidence we have requested. You only need to send evidence that you have not already sent us.
2. Get a clear and readable digital copy of your evidence. You can take a photograph or scan to do this.
3. Go to www.gov.uk/student-finance-
4. Log in with your student finance login details.
5. Upload your evidence and click submit.
Your upload must be:
• of the entire document
• readable by our staff
• either a BMP, JPEG, PDF, PNG or TIFF file
• smaller than 16MB.
If you cannot upload your evidence. You can send clear photocopies of your evidence to:
Student Finance England
PO Box 210
The student submitted the documents requested. The application was approved 6 weeks from the date of submission of evidence to receive an approved letter. This process can take up to 8 weeks. Make sure to submit documents early to get approval in time for university. The approval letter was found on the student finance account.
Advice from the student:
- Apply for your National Insurance Number (NI number) as soon as you arrive. It can be done online.(You need the NI number to add to your student finance account)
- Good to have a british address and number
- You will need a photo of you holding the passport and then one of the passport next to your face.
– Apply for a bank account online, the student suggests using Lloyds Bank and applied for a basic account not a student one.
If your interested in applying for a loan for 2023, applications open early 2023 (might be February). For more information on the process you can read our blog post here. Student Finance Application.
Written By: Nia Golden (author of Carib Students)